Re: ODBC Win NT

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:33:08 -0700

Is this all on one machine, or more than one?

Don't you have to install and configure sqlnet (net8?) before you can make an ODBC to Oracle8?

I'm not using Oracle8x yet, but from the errors, it looks like you have some kind of sqlnet/net8 installed, but maybe not configured properly (or the sqlnet/net8 on the server is not configured properly).

If not, look for net8 on the Oracle8 client install. Otherwise (sqlnet v2x) you may need to get one of the older Oracle client install medias.

eg, if you have either a lot of time, or a high bandwidth IP connection, you could download the trial version of Dev6(i?), or something similar, from

  http://technet.oracle.com/software/index.htm (free registration),

and install sqlnet from that. hopefully there are other options for getting free oracle client software media that are less wasteful of bandwidth (&disk space!).

beware that some older oracle install media are *not* Y2K compliant.

you can download a Y2K compliant installer from Oracle's FTP site.

  ftp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com/dev_tools/patchsets/Installer/32bit/

Run that FIRST, then use it to install (*.prd file) from any older install media that you need to use.

regards,
ep

Date sent:      	Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:57:07 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>