Re: Database Crash !!

From: <Winnie_Liu_at_infonet.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:14:46 -0700

Offline drop does not "drop" the datafile at all. If she doe snot have any kind of backup, she will need to drop the entire tablespace. THen recreate a new tablespace and the rollback segment and so on...

If you read the menu carefully, it will tell you that the offline drop command doe not drop the datafile, but put the datafile in recovery mode and allow you to open the database bypassing the checking of that particualr file. Its status is still "recovery needed"

Winnie

"Ron Rogers" <RROGERS_at_galottery.org> on 08/09/2000 01:46:40 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Winnie Liu/HQ/ISC)

Subject: Re: Database Crash !!

Winnie,
Please explain to me why she would have to drop the entire tablespace when she did an offline drop command for the data file and rbs. She is trying to create a segment on the system tablespace not the index tablespace. Should it not create the new rollback segment anyway?? Other than the crash taking the rbs down before she could manually do it, isn't the method of working with rbs's to offline, drop,create?
Ron Rogers
DBA OCP
Atl.ga

>>> Winnie_Liu_at_infonet.com 08/09/00 02:07PM >>>
You will need to drop the entire tablespace (index and rollback) after you use "offline drop" command.

Winnie

Ashish Shah <ar_shah_at_yahoo.com> on 08/09/2000 08:25:51 AM

To: dbalist <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>, lazydba <oracledba_at_quickdoc.co.uk> cc: (bcc: Winnie Liu/HQ/ISC)

Hi All,

We had a disk failure. We lost index datafiles and rollback datafile..

The database is in noarchivelog mode..only backup I have is export.dmp..

I tried to open with..

-offline drop datafile
- offline drop rbs
now I can open the database...
but can't do anything.. it's still complaining about rbs file which I already droped..

Any ideas??????

I am trying to create temp rollback so I can rebuild indexes.....

SVRMGR> create rollback segment temp1 tablespace system;
create rollback segment temp1 tablespace system *
ORA-00376: file 2 cannot be read at this time ORA-01110: data file 2: '/oradata/indxstp04/rbs01.dbf'

Ashish
Toronto, Canada

Do You Yahoo!?
Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. http://invites.yahoo.com/

If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.com (updated daily)
to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk
  INET: Winnie_Liu_at_infonet.com

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org