RE: locking issues

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 23:29:52 GMT

Bitmap indexes expand under two conditions:

  1. you add a new row (each row in the bitmap index grows by one value)
  2. you add a new possible value (an additional row is added to the index, the length is equal to the number of rows in the table)

so when you update a value, you have to update ALL the rows in the bitmap and the index is locked.

each row in a bitmap, unlike a "normal" index, is not the value of that column in that particular row, but is instead a "chain" of on/off bits for that value. Each bit positionally represents a row in the table.