repost - Poor performance querying CLOBs

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 07:56:26 -0700 (PDT)

--0-424238335-965746586=:3835

Has anyone else run into performance problems using LOBS? I found that both the exp utility, Pro*C, and OCI programs all seem to be very slow at accessing CLOBS when using a TCP/IP connection. Sqlplus otoh accesses them just fine regardless of the connection type.

If I try to export a table containing 400 rows and two clob columns, I can do it in 2 seconds if I use an IPC connection. If I try it over TCP it takes 91 seconds. The export is running on the same server as the database so it shouldn't be a networking issue. The same sort of poor query performance is seen in OCI and PRO*C applications.

If I query the same table however using sqlplus, a "select *" completes in 2 seconds. A "select *" from a remote host completes in about 7 seconds. Why is it taking so long to query with OCI or to export the table?

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Do You Yahoo!?
Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. --0-424238335-965746586=:3835

<P>Has anyone else run into performance problems using LOBS? I found that both the exp utility, Pro*C, and OCI programs all seem to be very slow at accessing CLOBS when using a TCP/IP connection. Sqlplus otoh accesses them just fine regardless of the connection type.</P>
<P>If I try to export a table containing 400 rows and two clob columns, I can do it in 2 seconds if I use an IPC connection. If I try it over TCP it takes 91 seconds. The export is running on the same server as the database so it shouldn't be a networking issue. The same sort of poor query performance is seen in OCI and PRO*C applications.</P>
<P>If I query the same table however using sqlplus, a "select *" completes in 2 seconds. A "select *" from a remote host completes in about 7 seconds. Why is it taking so long to query with OCI or to export the table?</P>
<P>Thanks in advance,</P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<P>Chuck</P></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites. --0-424238335-965746586=:3835-- Received on Tue Aug 08 2000 - 09:56:26 CDT