Re: Oracle on Netware support experience

From: <Val_Gamerman/Victoria_Financial.VICTORIA_FINANCIAL_at_lnn.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 17:51:21 -0400

Well,

The answer is yes and no. Oracle has the support for NT and Netware bundled into the same support group (Desktop platforms). Needless to say that when you open a TAR you will get a person who is more familiar with NT rather than Netware.

I have had both bad and good experiences (more bad than good).

What I mean by that is the support person would, for instance, recommend going to the BIN directory, instead of NLM (on Netware) and so on and so forth. Not that it is a big deal but it should give you an idea of how frequently they have to deal with Oracle on Netware.

In addition to that you are more prone to hit the bugs on Netware vs. NT since there are not that many heavy duty shops running Oracle on Netware and thus you end up being the one who discovers many bugs ...

Val Gamerman.
Oracle DBA.

To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
cc:        (bcc: Val Gamerman/Victoria Financial)
From:     "Norris, Greg" <Greg_Norris_at_mail.dor.state.mo.us> @ NOTES NET
Date:     08/08/2000 08:24:17 PM GMT

Subject: Oracle on Netware support experience

Does anyone have experience with Oracle Support for the Netware platform? We're planning to create some 8i instances, but I've been told that support is... difficult. Needless to say, I'm a touch concerned about this
(hopefully I'm just being paranoid).

Thanx!

Author: Norris, Greg
  INET: Greg_Norris_at_mail.dor.state.mo.us