RE: Oracle on Solaris installation tips needed , please

From: Kamalakannan, D (CAP, GCF) <D.Kamalakannan_at_gecapital.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 15:01:53 +0200

Hi ,
Which version of Oracle / Solaris ...
Anyway ....

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrey Bronfin [mailto:bronfin_at_visualtop.com] Sent: Sunday, August 06, 2000 4:56 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Oracle on Solaris installation tips needed , please

Dear All !

In a couple of days i'm going to perform my first Oracle installation on Sun 220 machine running Solaris OS .
It will be a PRODUCTION installation for a 24x7 shop .

I desperately need some tips , please ....

  1. What are the OS parameters i should take a look at , before the Oracle installation ? You can take a look in the documentation which comes with the Oracle CD for Solaris. There they have mentioned the optimum values for OS parameters. Well the important ones are

set shmsys:shminfo_SHMMAX=4294967295

set shmsys:shminfo_SHMMIN=1

set shmsys:shminfo_SHMMNI=100

set shmsys:shminfo_SHMSEG=10

set shmsys:seminfo_SEMMNS=200

set shmsys:seminfo_SEMMNI=70

These are the suggested values and depending on the requirement change these values in /etc/system.

2. Are there special UNIX patches that should be run before the Oracle installation ?
Yes, the patches level varies acc to the Soalris Versions and the Oracle Version

 3. Any tips for the installation itself ? Depends on what all you expect from Oracle side -eg.intermedia , parallel server , ....etc

Every 0.02$ will be very appreciated !
Thank U VERY much in advance ! Received on Mon Aug 07 2000 - 08:01:53 CDT