Re: Compound Indexes...

From: Tom Pall <tpall_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 15:17:53 -0500

Perhaps you should refresh your read of the Oracle Tuing manual. Indexes are there to speed access. Concatenated indexes are often created because by themselves the individual columns are not selective. By concatenating columns in an index, you can increase selectivity. Further, if all the columns needed to satisfy a query are in an index, this can really speed access.

You should have leading columns in your concatenated indexes which are also the most frequently found in the where clause of queries. If possible, order the columns in the index so the most selective column is first, the next most second, and so on.

Oracle 8i will, under certain circumstances, combine indexes to satisfy a query, rather than scan the table.

You need to look at what queries are run, and how often, to determine which index to make and keep. How expensive it is to maintain the indexes for DML vs. selects depends, obviously, on how often updates which affect an index, or inserts/deletes are made on the table vs. selects.