Re:RE: WILL YOU GIVE PROGRAMMERS DBA ACCOUNT IF WE SAID YES?

From: Anthony Keller <akeller_at_sctcorp.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:02:38 -0400

Hi,

I have a real problem with giving programmers the rights to create objects in the database, especially production. As a travelling consultant I get to see the best and worst of IT shops around the world.

Most of the worst shops, in terms of how healthy the database and systems are, have very little control placed in the hands of the DBA. A typical scenario: I ask the DBA what a particular table is used for, and the answer is, "I don't know." "Can we delete it?" "Oh, no. That programmer left over a year ago, and no one knows what processes use that table."

While the programmers should be able to create tables based on application needs, it should be the DBA's responsibility to actually do the creation. In my humble opinion, the DBA should require the programmers to create the scripts to create the database objects and submit the scripts to the DBA. The DBA can then make sure the scripts meet the institution's standards, i.e., that naming conventions are adhered to, that object placement is looked at, and that the script contain some documentation about the object. While this may seem onerous, believe me, the business will benefit from it in the long run.

Remember, there is a reason for the word "Administration" in DBA.

In My Humble Opinion,
Tony

Anthony M. Keller
Technical Manager
International Area akeller_at_sctcorp.com Global Education Solutions
Systems & Computer Technology
4 Country View Road
Malvern, PA 19355
United States of America