RE: SQL SERVER

From: Frank N. Pettinato <frankp_at_extremezone.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 08:56:38 -0700

I am having the same experience. Due to "TCO" factors they say. BTW there is a very good article on Oracle's website concerning TCO and Oracle. The article makes a good argument that when the smoke clears and you are running your application in production, Oracle has a lower TCO. MS just lowers their initial cost and managers that don't know the difference bite. I think that the push towards MS SQL Server is also due to the large volume of VB programmers there are. They don't want to learn anything new and SQL Server
(more like MS Access on steroids) is familiar to them. VB is a very powerful
language and can do some amazing things, but it is not like coding in C or C++.

I have not started administering the MS SQL Server DB yet but will probably have to submit at some point.
In my opinion, there are many differences between MS SQL Server 7 and Oracle. Most are in the area of scalability and performance. Backup and recovery is different and not as secure as one can design an Oracle backup to be. Basically, SQL Server is built like most other M$ products, they take out all the guess work, put in more wizards and "help" you do your job better. Of course, to have any real power or scalability etc. you need to get under the covers which you cannot do with MS. I am no expert in MS SQL Server, but I will bet you that the new TPC performance numbers that MS posted last month (even though they later pulled them) were not produced on a standard install of MS SQL Server, using visual tools only. They spent PLENTY of time tweaking every OS settings and underlying structure that they could (sounds like everyday Oracle administration doesn't it?).

Wow, I don't think I have written this much to the list in 3 years, must have been a good cup of coffee this a.m.

my 2 cents,
Frank Pettinato
Oracle DBA
Intel Corp.

	Author: Christine Turner
	  INET: Christine.Turner_at_IPS-Sendero.com

	San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca