Re: Email from PL/SQL with Java - UTL_SMTP - UTL_TCP

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:17:09 -0700 (PDT)

Steve,

I installed Java for the same reason: to get the email.

Hasn't caused me any problems other than those incurred trying to get it all installed.

After running @?/javavm/install/initjvm, you will also need to run @?/rdbms/amdin/initplsj ( not documented )

Jared

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Steve Orr wrote:

> I need to implement email from PL/SQL triggers/procedures for an internet
> application and I'm studying the different ways to skin this cat...
>
> I'm looking at the UTL_SMTP Oracle supplied package which is specifically
> for emailing from PL/SQL. (Oracle 8.1.6+ only) It also requires the UTL_TCP
> package which requires $ORACLE_HOME/plsql/jlib/plsql.jar which means it
> requires the Java Virtual Machine on the Oracle Server.
> (From thin client to fat server? :-()
>
> I understand that: it takes over an hour to run the initjvm.sql install
> script; that Oracle recommends about 50MB for java_pool_size; and that 4000+
> objects will be created...
>
> (select count(*) from dba_objects where object_type like 'JAVA%').
>
> So now I'm wondering about the overhead of the JVM and whether it's worth it
> to go down this path just for email functionality.
>

> QUESTIONS:
> 1) Can anyone share their experience with installing the JVM and give
> feedback regarding the overhead.
>
> 2) Has anyone used UTL_SMTP to email from PL/SQL?
>
> 3) Are there any other approaches to email from PL/SQL that you would
> recommend?
>
> 4) Should I learn Java?
>

> TIA! TIA! TIA! TIA!
>

> Hemorrhaging on the bleeding edge,
>
> Steve Orr
> www.arzoo.com
>

> --------
> If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.com (updated daily)
> to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk
> to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Tue Aug 01 2000 - 14:17:09 CDT