Striping on O/S or Database level........

From: Aldi Barco <ipal_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:08:53 JAVT

Hi list,

My company has decided to buy a new machine with 26 disks, with 4 CPU, 4 Gb memory.
We will use mirror so there are 13 disks to configured : - - 5 disks for Solaris 6, Veritas 3.3, Oracle 805 binary, redo, log, rolback, system, temp and application processing area
- 8 disks for data and indexes, there are 2 applications will be running on.

Do you have any idea how to configure that 8 disks ?

Striping 4 disks at O/S level, but will not take advantage of oracle parallel query and parallel DML ?
Or, Not striping (just plain disks) and take advantage of parallel query and DML with degree of 4 by striping table and index into 4 disks ?

I would like to know, which one is better : striping 4 disks at O/S level, or striping data and index into 4 plain disks and use parallel degree of 4 ?

Because of using mirror, I think Raid 5 is not a good candidate, isn't it ?

I really appreciate for any clue from you all. Thanks in advance.

Aldi
Oracle DBA