(Fwd) Re: listserv is very slow [fyi: additional background info]

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:12:39 -0700

In addition to Jared's comments (below), IIRC, Bruce said that fatcity is working on implementing web archives, at least for the ODTUG lists that are hosted at fatcity ( http://www.odtug.com/subscrib.htm ).
regards,
ep

Eric,

Thanks for the support.

As it is right now, the list works, albeit sometimes not as quickly as we'd like.

-------, I don't know how long you've been on this list, but there have been fewer problems at fatcity.com than where it was was previously.

It started out on MajorDomo, which is to put it politely, a somewhat capable list server than many, and very unreliable.

MajorDumbo truncated the subscriber list on more than on occasion.

It then moved to Lyris at the same ISP, and they were never able to make it work properly.

In the end, there were no archives, which is not a good thing.

The admins were courteous and good to work with, but not as accessible, and not nearly as knowledgeable as Bruce Bergman, the admin at fatcity.com

Bruce Bergman of fatcity.com is knowledgeable, accessible and easy to work with. He's always responsive when there are problems, which is not often.

Never underestimate the value of having a good person to work with.

I don't want this list to be a full time, or even a part time job, and with fatcity.com, I spend very little time dealing with technical issues.

Thanks

Jared

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Eric D. Pierce wrote:

> Date sent: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:55:09 -0700
> From: [address removed]
> To: PierceED_at_csus.edu
> Subject: Re: listserv is very slow
>
> > Nothing is impossible for the man who does NOT have to do it.
>
> I'm not complaining, just supporting the people that feel that
> we have the best situation as it is right now, and who say that
> talk of paying would be a major departure from the way ORACLE-L has
> existed for at least 5 or 6 years as a " cyber community".
>
> I maintain a number of small, multi campus work related lists for
> administrators and support staff on a netware server, and the
> headaches caused by people that are relatively clueless, especially
> at startup and newbies, are quite amazing.
>
> Dealing with list issues for hundreds of DBAs and programmers, some
> of whom, despite the fact that their main job responsibilities are
> technically related, that are in too big a hurry to remember how to
> get to archive files, how to unsubscribe, how to query the command
> processor to find a help file (even if it is every message trailer
> sent to the list!), or don't unsubscribe before leaving their jobs,
> then you have to deal with some amazingly dense email sys admin
> bozo that thinks you can somehow solve their account maintenance
> problems for them even though the problem accounts are on *their*
> system, isn't something I'm real keen on.
>
> > If it is so bloddy easy, what is preventing you from solving this problem?
>
> http://www.eGroups.com
>
> (Check it out, and let me know if you want to try to convince people
> to move ORACLE-L over there.)
>

> I didn't way it was easy to solve "the problem", just that people
> that want to subscribe to a free Oracle email list would jump
> ship and go elsewhere since there are alternatives which are easy
> to set up.
>
> Even though www.eGroups.com is easy to set up, but there would be
> similar, if not worse reliability problems, and according to Jared,
> the "fine print" on the eGroups TOS seem to imply that they
> (ultimately) "own" the content of material posted through their
> service. sounds a little presumptuous, no?
>
> regards,
> ep
>

> > "Eric D. Pierce" wrote:
> >
> > > Date sent: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:41:53 -0800
> > > To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

> > > Most people would just go elsewhere (or back to the original list
> > > ORACLE-L_at_lists.sunysb.edu , which is still in service, but
> > > with low volume). It is really easy to set up a free email list on
> > > the web, etc.

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon Received on Mon Jul 31 2000 - 12:12:39 CDT