Re: archive log dir filling up

From: Larry Holder <lholder_at_utm.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:39:53 -0500

At 10:32 AM 7/31/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>We've recently had a lot of problems with our archive log directory filling
>and the database freezing. Now that I've mastered how to fix this quickly,
>I'm wondering why I have to fix it so often. Is there some sort of
>optimal/minimum size for an archive log directory? We are running a 1
>terabyte db with varying amounts of activity, and the archive log directory
>can hold up to 11G. The archived logs are being written to tape every 4 hrs,
>but this often isn't fast enough--sometimes the directory fills in an hour.
>Should I just increase the frequency that the logs are written to tape? Add
>space? Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Sandy

Sandy,
There is no minimum size for the directory. "Optimal" is a matter of individual circumstances. For our shop, for example, "optimal" is enough to hold a long weekend's worth, based upon our archive log deletion strategy.
So, you've either got to write to tape more often, or increase the size of the directory, or both. Otherwise, as you have found, the database will come to a halt and twiddle its thumbs until space is once again reclaimed.

So, "whatever works". If it's easier to increase the tape write frequency than to find a larger disk volume, then I'd start with that.

Larry Holder
Senior Systems Analyst, Oracle Database Administrator The University of Tennessee at Martin Computer Center lholder_at_utm.edu (901) 587-7890 www.utm.edu/~lholder Saved by grace <>< Romans 8:38-39 Received on Mon Jul 31 2000 - 16:39:53 CDT