Re: Comments on Why???

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:06:44 -0400

It's to ensure that only _one_ description gets returned per glacct. You might assume that DISTINCT would take care of that, but consider:

gl_acct_no=3D101, description=3DPayroll
gl_acct_no=3D101, description=3DPaychecks

Using distinct will result in two rows being returned, while your query will result in only one row being returned.

You could argue that a GL account should only have one description, but maybe your system contains some data that violates that assumption, and maybe that's why the original programmer wrote the query the way you see it.

Jonathan

jonathan_at_gennick.com =20
http://gennick.com
Brighten the Corner Where You Are