gender / (Fwd) RE: OAS-RadioButton

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:05:37 -0700

another installment in the ongoing ORACLE-L no-jokes-friday cultural enrichment series:

Actually, I had an Oracle Ed instructor who related a story about building an app for a hospital in California. The state of California legally reconizes something like 10-12 distinct sexes. Male, female, male (used to be female), female (used to be male)... If you know a little biology, you might also know that there are people who are genetically one sex (based on their complement of X-Y chromosomes) but that their physical appearance is that of the other sex for various reasons.

Sorry. I got my B.S. in Zoology before I decided to become an engineer and make money.

If anybody REALLY wants the details, I can provide an Email address for the instructor and you can ask him about it.

This was in an Oracle Designer First Class. The instructor was using this as an example of the reason to create a domain for values that might at first seem trivial (as opposed to hardcoding). And think how ugly this would be if you weren't using something like Designer and had to change umpteen forms to add a couple choices to a set of radio buttons (or, even worse, convert to LOV or something).

So, the moral of the story is that you really NEVER know what part of an app is written in stone.

                    "Don Warner"
                    <warnerd_at_ecs.        To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    csus.edu>            ODTUG-SQLPLUS-L <ODTUG-SQLPLUS-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    root_at_fatcity.        Subject:     RE: OAS-RadioButton
                    com

                    07/27/2000
                    07:44 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ODTUG-SQLPLUS
                    -L

The state of California has a hospital discharge form with 4 Choices - Male,
Female, Other and Unknown.

I heard about a CIA database that has 9 choices.

Don Warner

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu
Author: Don Warner