RE: Oracle and Record Locking

From: Elliott, Patrick <Patrick.Elliott_at_bestbuy.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:17:34 -0500

Wayne and William are right.

The problems that your consultant refers to are simply a matter of application coding practices. If you want your application to prevent changes of a row while you are viewing it, then you need to issue an explicit lock on the record using the "FOR UPDATE OF <table>" in the select statement. If you want to allow changes to a row while you are viewing it, then you need to periodically refresh the screen. I wouldn't advise this, however since you have no way of maintaining integrity.

I found this in the Oracle documentation.