5 child latches means 5 lib cache hash chains ??

From: Rahul <rahul_at_ratelindo.co.id>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:30:06 +0700

List,
querying v$latch_children (v7.3) i get
5 library cache latches.,
does this mean that i have 5 hash chains each pointing to a linked list of library handles ??

TIA Rahul

 From: Rustem Valeev <valeev_at_avicomp.ru>  Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:42:40 +0400
 Subject: Re: Indexing a table

Hi
1. The common filed should be last. Oracle use first column in query where condition only for first column
2. Uncertain question:

      Selectance of xx,x,...
      tables size
      foreing (primary) key.

   Oracle query steps: insert view source in you select, optimize query, then execute

   (although in complex query that is't fact, read "Oracle Tuning" from Oracle documentation)

aheda_at_cdotd.ernet.in wrote:

> hi
> if searching and updating a large database is required in realtime
> then indexing increases the performance a lot. I had doubt regarding the
> order of columns in which indexing needs to be done
> 1). when a compound index is t be created then what should be the order
> of the fields in the index. The common field which is same for a large no
> of rows should be the first column to be included in index or should be
> the last.
>
> 2). while operating on views does the index of the tables which are
> constituting the view are used as it is , and shoul a separate index needs
> to be created on the columns appearing tin the where clause of the view
> independently even though a composite index exists over the where clause
> of the view creation sql + the where clause of the query from the view.
>
> e.g. create view a as select b.x,c.y,c.z,c.xx
> from tableb b, tablec c,
> where b.x=c.y;
>
> a query is made as "select * from a where xx="some value";
>
> existing index on c.y + c.xx
>
> should a new index over only c.xx and only c.y and only b.x is is
> required
>
> any suggestions in this regard will be very useful
> thanks
>

> Arvind

> INET: aheda_at_cdotd.ernet.in

Rustem Valeev, valeev_at_avicomp.ru, (095)4360496

------------------------------

 From: "Bryan Michael Lenihan" <blenihan_at_carolina.rr.com>
 Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:48:40 -0400
 Subject: Re: Passing the "&" in PL/SQL

Have you tried...

-----------  BeginPaste --------------
SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.4.0.0 - Production on Wed Jul 26 1:45:25 2000

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.4.0 - Production
With the distributed, replication, parallel query and Spatial Data options
PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.4.0 - Production

SQL> create procedure test (invar in varchar2)
  2  is
  3  begin
  4    dbms_output.put_line(invar);
  5  end;
  6
  7  /

Procedure created.

SQL> set serveroutput on
SQL> execute test ('Entry 1'||'&'||' Entry2');
Entry 1& Entry2

SQL>
Thanks,
Bryan Lenihan