Re: Deploying applications on Win2K Terminal Server

From: Gary Norwell <gnorwell_at_hybridturkeys.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:14:27 -0400

On 26 Jul 00, at 10:25, Jared Still wrote:

> Even if the internal users are at 7 sites in 4 states?
>
> And there is 200 of them?
>
> Client server is rather unwieldy in this situation.
>
> Terminal server is at best a resource intensive, giant
> step backwards. Might as well go back to glass tty's.
>
> 3 tier is less expensive in terms of hardware, and simpler
> to deploy, as well as being much more scalable.

Fortunately, the Oracle apps in question are going to be used by about 20 workstations on one internal LAN/WAN. And, as I tried to make clear in my original message, the Forms-based applications are not the only ones we want to deploy using the Terminal server technology. We have several other applications that users will be able to use (network or dial-in remote) via Terminal Server so we wanted to try and verify that it would be compatible with Oracle.

I'm not really gung-ho about using Terminal Server to host the Oracle software, but I'm not about to implement Terminal server (for the other applications) and set up OAS and 3-tier model for the Oracle stuff.

Gary Norwell, Database Developer
Hybrid Turkeys a Division of Nutreco Canada 650 Riverbend Drive, Suite "C"
Kitchener Ontario Canada N2K 3S2
(519) 578-2740 Fax (519) 578-1870