RE: Adding redo log member

From: Larry Holder <lholder_at_utm.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:09:10 -0500

At 12:05 PM 7/26/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>How to add or Resize Redolog?? Regards Siva Kumar Chintalapati

Siva,

I highly recommend the Oracle DBA Handbook from Oracle Press (website is www.osborne.com, and can probably find it also at amazon.com, etc). It details this and many other very useful DBA procedures. Worth every penny, as are the other books in the series (such as the Backup and Recovery Handbook).

To resize, you actually drop a redo log (while it is not active, switch if it is so it becomes inactive) and then re-add it with a different size.

Here is an example of a resize. I have one log file per group (our logs are mirrored via hardware with RAID-1 mirroring). My database is on Unix. I first invoke svrmgrl and connect internal. In this example, I am resizing the logfile that comprises log group 1 to a new size of 20 meg.

You can tell which is active and which are inactive with: SELECT * FROM V$LOGFILE; If this log had been active, I would first deactivate with: ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE; Drop the log group:
ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE GROUP 1; Delete the log file with OS command:
HOST rm /yourpath/yourlogname.log

Re-add the logfile group:
ALTER DATABASE ADD LOGFILE GROUP 1 ('/yourpath/yourlogname.log') SIZE 20M;

hth,

Larry Holder
Senior Systems Analyst, Oracle Database Administrator The University of Tennessee at Martin Computer Center lholder_at_utm.edu (901) 587-7890 www.utm.edu/~lholder Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 15:09:10 CDT