Re: WILL YOU GIVE PROGRAMMERS DBA ACCOUNT IF WE SAID YES?

From: Larry Holder <lholder_at_utm.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:20:43 -0500

At 12:15 PM 7/26/2000 Sophie wrote:
>Do you think it is a lack of knowledge on the developer's part or an 'I
>don't care' attitude? (Probably both, though.)
>
>What could be done to make / help a developer learn more about reprecussions
>of actions and how to work WITH a dba, rather than against a dba.
>It's all so unfortunate because a DBA shouldn't have to worry about what
>some other database 'professional' is doing.

I think it's a don't-care attitude.
An analogy might be tenant / landlord. Developers "occupy" the database, but the DBA "owns" it. Some tenants will take care of the place and treat it as well as if they owned it; others will do whatever they like for the short haul and if something breaks due to neglect, hey that's the landlord's problem, let him/her come fix it. As if we have a two-second fix for everything.

It all boils down to who gets called at 2 a.m. when something goes bump in the night. That person will care, and will take every reasonable precaution to avoid that phone call. Plain and simple. I guess the only way to make a developer appreciate it is to drag them around by the nose from start to finish during a fix of something they've broken. They won't touch that hot stove again in the near future.

Larry Holder
Senior Systems Analyst, Oracle Database Administrator The University of Tennessee at Martin Computer Center lholder_at_utm.edu (901) 587-7890 www.utm.edu/~lholder Saved by grace <>< Romans 8:38-39 Received on Wed Jul 26 2000 - 15:20:43 CDT