Re: Archive Logs

From: Larry Holder <lholder_at_utm.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:10:26 -0500

At 09:58 PM 7/24/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> These archive log files are useful to recover the data inbetween a cold
>or a hot backup. i.e. data lost inbetween backups and if it is not stored
>anywhere. also if u r regularly taking any one of these backup then there
>is no need for the prevoius archive logs. Archvie logs file destination
>should not be full, b'cos ur entire database hangs since it cannot write
>into it.
>rgds
>bharanidharan

We have a small Perl script that is run each morning, reading the log from the last hotbackup to determine the oldest archive log sequence to keep. It then deletes all old archived logs in the archive destination, leaving only the archived logs that are still part of the active recovery set. Since our system has an automatic tape backup of everything, which runs around 3 a.m., I could even get these deleted logs (and previous hotbackup'd datafiles) back from tape if there was ever the need.

Larry Holder
Senior Systems Analyst, Oracle Database Administrator The University of Tennessee at Martin Computer Center lholder_at_utm.edu (901) 587-7890 www.utm.edu/~lholder Saved by grace <>< Romans 8:38-39 Received on Tue Jul 25 2000 - 09:10:26 CDT