Re: RAID hardware information

From: Larry Holder <lholder_at_utm.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 09:16:18 -0500

At 03:33 AM 7/25/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>I've finished reading some material of RAID levels and their advs/disadvs
>for Oracle DBs....

We went with RAID-1, partially because disk is relatively cheap and RAID-1 offers more protection than RAID-5, and also it avoids grouping volumes together as in RAID-5 which would take away my ability to segregate volumes for various purposes (for example, my redo logs need to be on a volume where they can write serially without interference from other database I/O's that are random on other volumes).

Larry Holder
Senior Systems Analyst, Oracle Database Administrator The University of Tennessee at Martin Computer Center lholder_at_utm.edu (901) 587-7890 www.utm.edu/~lholder Saved by grace <>< Romans 8:38-39 Received on Tue Jul 25 2000 - 09:16:18 CDT