RE: Oracle-L archives: classics / (Fwd): Re: Here we go again...

From: Koivu, Lisa <lkoivu_at_qode.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:45:43 -0400

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFF670.F109D82C

        charset="iso-8859-1"

HA HA!

Fast Forward: [deleted] here passed all exams in a breeze and believes that OCP = Buzzword.

Gotta admit I laughed at my own comment and g's ever so clever analogy. However after experiencing the job market frenzy I'm sure I would have landed the job I have, same $$$, without OCP. It was one question in the first of three interviews to work here - no other company asked about OCP, or college for that matter. However they put me through a very grueling tech interview.

I believe 'it's what you know'.

Lisa [deleted] Koivu
The *O*verly *C*areful and *P*recautionary DBA (usually) Now gainfully employed in Florida and learning some pretty cool stuff.

Author: guy ruth hammond
  INET: grh_at_agency.com

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFF670.F109D82C

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>RE: Oracle-L archives: classics / (Fwd):  Re: Here we go =
again...OCP</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>HA HA!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Fast Forward:&nbsp; [deleted]&nbsp; here passed all =
exams in a breeze and believes that OCP =3D Buzzword.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Gotta admit I laughed at my own comment and g's ever =
so clever analogy.&nbsp; However after experiencing the job market =
frenzy I'm sure I would have landed the job I have, same $$$, without =
OCP.&nbsp; It was one question in the first of three interviews to work =
here - no other company asked about OCP, or college for that =
matter.&nbsp; However they put me through a very grueling tech =
interview.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I believe 'it's what you know'.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Lisa [deleted] Koivu</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>The *O*verly *C*areful and *P*recautionary DBA =
(usually)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Now gainfully employed in Florida and learning some =
pretty cool stuff.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Eric D. Pierce [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:PierceED_at_csus.edu">mailto:PierceED_at_csus.edu</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 2:56 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Oracle-L archives: classics / (Fwd): Re: =
Here we go again...OCP</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Since this was under discussion again recently =
(fyi):</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>------- Forwarded Message Follows -------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Date sent:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Fri, 28 Apr =
2000 06:34:56 -0800</FONT>
<BR><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>To:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp; Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L =
&lt;ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com&gt;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>[deleted] wrote:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I am wondering now about what OCP is really good =
for then.&nbsp; I do not have a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; bachelor's degree so I want to complete OCP =
anyway.&nbsp; It will make job hunting in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Florida with less than one year experience as a =
DBA a bit easier.&nbsp; Does anyone</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; else feel that this certification is =
worthless?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Well, let me tell you a story. Way, way back when, =
there was a file/print</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>server called NetWarez. (Names changes to protect =
the innocent). Now, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>NetWarez wasn't terribly difficult to use, and it =
did only two things</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(filin' and printin') but it did them rather well. =
One day, Corporate</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>America (tm) woke up and said to itself, &quot;hmm, =
gotta get me some of that&quot;.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>So, pretty soon, NetWarez is installed everywhere, =
and everyone's</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>relying on it. Lots of people suddenly decide they =
want to be NetWarez</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>administrators, because these are relied on and well =
rewarded within the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>corporate environment. Soon, the situation gets out =
of hand: people who've</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>barely any experience are passing themselves off as =
NetWarez gurus, and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the only time their employers find out is when =
Something Goes Wrong.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So the Navel Corporation, vendors of NetWarez, create =
a certification</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>programme, to ensure that NetWarez admins have a =
certain baseline of skill.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>This programme was aggressively marketed, and within =
not very much time at</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>all, no-one will hire anyone who doesn't have the =
certificate - in fact,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>they won't even bother to interview them. It is =
practically impossible</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to get a NetWarez job today without a CNE.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Roll forward a few years, and Navel's arch-rival =
M1&lt;r0$oF+ roll out their</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>own certification programme, Must Consult Someone =
Experienced. They too</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>aggressively promote certification, and industry is =
in the process now of </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>employers making it a prerequisite for an interview. =
No-one takes it</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>particularly seriously (at least, I hope not) but in =
this age of high staff</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>turnover and long hours, anything that cuts down the =
shortlist quickly</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>is welcomed. And more and more, a M1&lt;r0$oF+ =
certificate is asked for in </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>job adverts. Other corporations, such as Sin =
Microsystems, are now pushing </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>their own certificates, and so are 'Orrible.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So, anyway, I'm both an OCP and an MCSE. Both were =
easy, and I passed 'em</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>over lunch breaks. They add buzzwords to the CV, and =
these days, that's</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>sometimes called for. I don't expect either of them =
to actually influence</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>an interviewer, but I do expect them to make me =
stand out on a shortlist</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>this year, and get me on the shortlist in the first =
place next year.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>So, from that perspective, if you can get a =
certificate without too spending</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>too much of your own time and money on it, then you =
might as well. And, for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the reasons above, it's not worthless.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Cheers,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>g</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>guy ruth hammond &lt;grh_at_agency.com&gt; | &quot;Wade =
in with our workboots,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Technology / Synergy / Consulting =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>07879607148 <A HREF=3D"http://www.agency.com" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.agency.com</A> =
|&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Dar Williams</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Author: guy ruth hammond</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; INET: grh_at_agency.com</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>------- End of forwarded message -------</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Author: Eric D. Pierce</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Fat City Network Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- (858) =
538-5051&nbsp; FAX: (858) 538-5051</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>San Diego, =
California&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Public Internet =
access / Mailing Lists</FONT>
<BR><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an =
E-Mail message</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of =
'ListGuru') and in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB =