RE: Passing the "&" in PL/SQL

From: David Barbour <DBarbour_at_connectsouth.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:37:41 -0500

Thanks to all who have replied. I've tried all your suggestions, and added a number of my own variations ..... all to no avail.

Her's the scenario - A user types in a few letters of a company name and is returned a list of those firms that match the input. The list hypertext links to the next page, passing the business name and other information as input variables. This list comes from a table where numerous firms are identified using the '&' symbol. I have no way of knowing what firm the user will ultimately select from the list they generate, so I don't know if there will be a & in the name. I've attempted to compensate for this by redefining the variable v_bus_name as

	IF INSTR(v_bus_name,'&') > 0 THEN
                v_bus_name:= substr(v_bus_name, 1, instr(v_bus_name,'&') -1)
                             ||'\&'||
                             substr(v_bus_name, instr(v_bus_name,'&')+1);

This works really well until the user clicks on the link to get to the next page. My "test case" - A-1 Appliance & Electronics, gets passed as (the parameters passing should be Customer Number:,Bus_name:,Bus_City,Bus_State:

        PARAMETERS:

  CUSTOMER_NUMBER:
   05005043419999
  BUS_NAME:
   A-1 Appliance
   ELECTRONICS&BUS_CITY:       BUS_STATE: I've tried using an ASCII conversion chr(38), Set Define off; Set Escape \&; Set Scan off; just can't get it to pass properly. Any more ideas?

David A. Barbour
Oracle DBA - ConnectSouth
512-681-9438
dbarbour_at_connectsouth.com