RE: Table design --ask opinion

From: Jain, Akshay <Akshay.Jain_at_cit.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:11:42 -0400

I would like to propose that here performance is going to be more a function of table and index access, rather than having fragmentation play more of a role.

If you always know which of the two types of files you need in advance, then splitting the data into two tables may give you some manageability in terms of total number of rows getting cut down per query.

However, if you have to query two different tables for each access of a "FileInfo", it will be much better to just have one table, where the type will be the first field of the primary key and will serve to isolate required rows.

Note that an "OR" in your query actually goes into two accesses of the join table.

Just a thought. Experienced experts please advise. I believe that splitting the data to two tables is only good when the physical access of the application is always demarcated to either one or the other, at application design time.

Akshay Jain

Newcourt-CIT
Tel. (416) 507-5385
Author: Herman