Re: Database Recovery/copy

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:15:48 GMT

Ruth,

overkill...... they HAVE a good backup

what you will need to do is "backup controlfile to <file>" at the end of your backup of production (this is if you are in archivelog mode, if you are not in archivelog mode, just restore the backed up files to disk)

Restore all the files to the development machine, since the file systems are the same, just copy them down to the same directories that they came from

Restore the backed up controlfile

yes, copy the init.ora over as well. Copy the archive logs to the same directory they get created in

svrmgrl
connect internal
startup mount
recover database until cancel using backup controlfile;

it will ask for archive logs.... keep pressing Enter until you run out of archive logs (you can continually copy them over from production, but you can't open the database until you decide to stop the copying)

once you have applied all the logs, type in CANCEL at the prompt for the next archive log

alter database open resetlogs;
exit

and you are done