RE: Asynchronous vs Synchronous

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 07:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1681692777-964102508=:17351

Actually some older versions (7.3.x?) of sqlnet didn't support async cancellation of a query. Later versions do. We use several of Quest's tools (toad, sql navigator, and sqlab xpert) and they all let you cancel a query immediately by pressing a cancel button.   "Wasserman, Sara" <sjwasserman_at_pscnet.com> wrote: We use Cognos Impromptu to do ad-hoc database queries. An Impromptu user can cancel a query on the database from Impromptu. Impromptu uses SQL*net to communicate with the Oracle database. I don't know anything about asyncronous vs. synchronous, but it does sound like Seagate is trying to blame Oracle for Crystal Report's own shortcomings. A SQL*Plus or SQLWorksheet user can also cancel a query from a client.

Maybe you should investigate other query tools for one that will allow your users to cancel queries.

Sara

Author: Wasserman, Sara
INET: sjwasserman_at_pscnet.com

--0-1681692777-964102508=:17351

<P> <BR>Actually some older versions (7.3.x?) of sqlnet didn't support async cancellation of a query. Later versions do. We use several of Quest's tools (toad, sql navigator, and sqlab xpert) and they all let you cancel a query immediately by pressing a cancel button.
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>"Wasserman, Sara" &lt;sjwasserman_at_pscnet.com&gt;</I></B> wrote: <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">We use Cognos Impromptu to do ad-hoc database queries. An Impromptu user<BR>can cancel a query on the database from Impromptu. Impromptu uses SQL*net<BR>to communicate with the Oracle database. I don't know anything about<BR>asyncronous vs. synchronous, but it does sound like Seagate is trying to<BR>blame Oracle for Crystal Report's own shortcomings. A SQL*Plus or<BR>SQLWorksheet user can also cancel a query from a client. <BR><BR>Maybe you should investigate other query tools for one that will allow your<BR>users to cancel queries.<BR><BR>Sara<BR>&gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>&gt; From: Christine Turner [SMTP:Christine.Turner_at_IPS-Sendero.com]<BR>&gt; Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 12:00 PM<BR>&gt; To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L<BR>&gt; Subject: RE: Asynchronous vs Synchronous<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Hello All,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; This is the response I received from my developer that !
he received from<BR>&gt; Crystal. Anyone have any comments?????<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks In Advance,<BR>&gt; Cheers!<BR>&gt; Christine Turner<BR>&gt; Database Administrator<BR>&gt; IPS-Sendero<BR>&gt; Scottsdale, Arizona<BR>&gt; Phone: (800) 321-6899 ext. 3286<BR>&gt; Fax: (480) 946-8224<BR>&gt; E-mail: christine.turner_at_ips-sendero.com<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>&gt; From: David Denison [SMTP:david.denison_at_ips-sendero.com]<BR>&gt; Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 3:47 PM<BR>&gt; To: Christine Turner<BR>&gt; Subject: Fw: CTL:20000717-10296 Automated Response: <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Here is that Crystal response concerning synchronous vs. asynchronous<BR>&gt; database connections.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ----- Original Message -----<BR>&gt; To: <DAVID.DENISON_at_IPS-SENDERO.COM><BR>&gt; Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2000 1:32 PM<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; This EMail was sent: 7/18/00 1:32:20 PM (Pacific Standard Time)<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; *** This incident h!
as been closed. To reopen, simply reply to this<BR>&gt; email<BR>&gt; &gt; with the additional information. Do not use this Control Number for a<BR>&gt; &gt; different question as it will go to the wrong support group ***<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; --------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>&gt; &gt; ------------------------------------<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Response To: David Denison<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Hi David,<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Thank you for using Answer by email.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Unfortunately what you're trying to do will cause a gpf, and let me<BR>&gt; &gt; explain why.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; If we submit a query to your database (in this case Oracle), we send off<BR>&gt; a<BR>&gt; &gt; SQL statement (i.e select * from table). Oracle processes that<BR>&gt; statement<BR>&gt; &gt; and generates a dataset and passes that back to Crystal Reports to<BR>&gt; format<BR>&gt; &gt; and display.<BR>&gt; &gt;<B!
R>&gt; &gt; If we cancel the job or close that preview window before that data comes<BR>&gt; &gt; back there's no way to tell Oracle that we've cancelled that job and<BR>&gt; it's<BR>&gt; &gt; going to continue sending data to memory that Crystal Reports has<BR>&gt; already<BR>&gt; &gt; released back to Windows and it will crash. This bi-directional<BR>&gt; &gt; communication would require an asynchronous database driver on BOTH the<BR>&gt; &gt; Crystal Reports side of the connection and the Oracle side of the<BR>&gt; &gt; connection. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, Oracle doesn't support an<BR>&gt; &gt; asynchronous connection, and Crystal Reports only supports asynchronous<BR>&gt; &gt; connections with a limited number of our database drivers.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I've included a Crystal Reports knowledge base article that describes<BR>&gt; &gt; which of our database drivers are asynchronous:<BR>&gt; &gt; c2006041<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I've also pasted this knowledg!
e base article below:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Asynchronous Database Connection Support for Seagate Software<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Product: Crystal Reports Professional Edition Version: 8.0.0.371<BR>&gt; &gt; Applies to: Reported version and higher<BR>&gt; &gt; Database: Microsoft SQL Server Platform: Windows 95 Date Verified:<BR>&gt; &gt; February 16, 2000<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Problem:<BR>&gt; &gt; Q: What happens when a user sends off a query in Crystal Reports (CR)<BR>&gt; or<BR>&gt; &gt; in the Info Report Designer in Seagate Info (SI) and then needs to<BR>&gt; cancel<BR>&gt; &gt; that query? How does the processing stop or does it even stop?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Q: What is the difference between Synchronous and Asynchronous database<BR>&gt; &gt; connections?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Q: Does Seagate Software support Asynchronous database connection?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Solution:<BR>&gt; &gt; There are two possible database connection meth!
ods with any type of<BR>&gt; &gt; database. They are:<BR>&gt; &gt; . Synchronous Database Connection<BR>&gt; &gt; . Asynchronous Database Connection<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; An asynchronous database connection refers to the ability for a client<BR>&gt; &gt; application to be able to issue any number of commands to a database<BR>&gt; &gt; server at any given point during the database connection, without<BR>&gt; waiting<BR>&gt; &gt; for the database server to complete the processing of current tasks.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; A primary application of asynchronous database connections, within the<BR>&gt; &gt; Crystal Reports (CR) Designer, is the ability to terminate a running<BR>&gt; query<BR>&gt; &gt; at any point in time.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Definitions:<BR>&gt; &gt; =================<BR>&gt; &gt; Synchronous Database Connection:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Synchronous connection to a database means that once a SQL query is<BR>&gt; passed<BR>&gt; &gt; to the !
database server, the calling application (Crystal Reports in this<BR>&gt; &gt; case) waits until it receives a "Finished" message from the database<BR>&gt; &gt; server. The "Finished" message is connected to the first packet of the<BR>&gt; &gt; result set being sent back.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; In Crystal Reports, if the cancel button is clicked while a synchronous<BR>&gt; &gt; connection is underway, the Report Designer will look as though it has<BR>&gt; &gt; canceled the query request. However, the request on the database server<BR>&gt; &gt; will continue to process until completion. Once the first packet comes<BR>&gt; &gt; back saying "Finished", no more of the query result set will be passed<BR>&gt; &gt; back.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; NOTE: Actually, when executing the query synchronously, Crystal Reports<BR>&gt; &gt; doesn't get the chance to cancel since the database client won't return<BR>&gt; &gt; control until the database is finished.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR!
>&gt; &gt; Asynchronous Database Connection:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Asynchronous connection to a database means that multiple sets of<BR>&gt; commands<BR>&gt; &gt; can be passed to the database server and processed at once. (For<BR>&gt; example,<BR>&gt; &gt; there is no need to wait for the query to return before sending another<BR>&gt; &gt; command to the database server).<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Instead of waiting for a "Finished" message to be sent back from the<BR>&gt; &gt; database server, the calling application (Crystal Reports in this case)<BR>&gt; &gt; sends a query status message to the database server at set times asking<BR>&gt; &gt; "Are you done yet?" When the database server says "Yes", the result<BR>&gt; &gt; packets start coming back. However, if a cancel button is clicked on<BR>&gt; the<BR>&gt; &gt; client computer side, instead of sending a question message to the<BR>&gt; &gt; database server, the client application has the ability to send a<BR>&gt; "Can!
cel<BR>&gt; &gt; query" message to the database server. In the Crystal Reports scenario,<BR>&gt; &gt; if the cancel button is clicked, instead of asking the database server<BR>&gt; if<BR>&gt; &gt; it has completed its query, Crystal Reports sends a "cancel" message to<BR>&gt; &gt; the database server. The query never has to complete.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Database Drivers that support Asynchronous Connections:<BR>&gt; &gt; =====================================================<BR>&gt; &gt; The following CR database drivers include support for asynchronous<BR>&gt; &gt; database connections:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; . Microsoft SQL Server Direct (P2ssql.dll) - 8.0.0.1 and higher<BR>&gt; &gt; . Sybase Direct (P2ssyb10.dll) - 8.0.0.0 and<BR>&gt; &gt; higher<BR>&gt; &gt; . IBM DB2 Direct (P2sdb2.dll) - 8.0.0.2 and<BR>&gt; &gt; higher<BR>&gt; &gt; . ODBC (P2sodbc.dll) - 6.0.0.88 and higher<BR>&gt; &gt; . OLEDB (P2soledb.dll)) - 7.0.100.37 and higher<BR>!
&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; NOTE #1: The first 3 database drivers listed above our native drivers<BR>&gt; for<BR>&gt; &gt; Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, and IBM DB2 respectively.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; NOTE #2: The only Seagate Software supplied ODBC drivers that support<BR>&gt; &gt; asynchronous database connection are Microsoft SQL Server and Sybase.<BR>&gt; CR<BR>&gt; &gt; detects if an ODBC driver supports Asynchronous Query (by testing if the<BR>&gt; &gt; SQL_ATTR_ASYNC_ENABLE flag on the database connection can be seen. If<BR>&gt; it<BR>&gt; &gt; can, then it will be used (assuming the user has set the asynchronous<BR>&gt; &gt; option).<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; NOTE #3: P2soledb.dll checks the DBPROPSET_ROWSET property from the<BR>&gt; &gt; DBPROP_ROWSET_ASYNCH property set. If this property is set, then the<BR>&gt; &gt; provider accepts asynchronous queries and the option is installed.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; NOTE #4: The version numbers listed above relate to the vers!
ions of the<BR>&gt; &gt; Seagate Software drivers.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Support in Seagate Software Applications:<BR>&gt; &gt; ============================================<BR>&gt; &gt; Based on the database driver version numbers above (unless otherwise<BR>&gt; &gt; noted), the following applications and DLLs support asynchronous<BR>&gt; database<BR>&gt; &gt; connections:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; . Crw32.exe - Report Designer (at least version CR 7.0.100.15 and SI<BR>&gt; &gt; 7.0.2.100)<BR>&gt; &gt; . Crpe32.dll - Crystal Reports Print Engine (at least version CR<BR>&gt; &gt; 7.0.100.15)<BR>&gt; &gt; . RDC - Report Designer Component for Visual Basic (higher than, and<BR>&gt; not<BR>&gt; &gt; including, version 7.0.100.15)<BR>&gt; &gt; . Cipe32.dll - Seagate Info Print Engine (at least version 7.0.2.100 of<BR>&gt; &gt; Seagate Info)<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; CAUTION: The "Are you Finished?" message that CR sends to the database<BR>&gt; &gt; ser!
ver is hard coded to fire off the question for every 1-second<BR>&gt; interval.<BR>&gt; &gt; This is not configurable.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; How to Procedures:<BR>&gt; &gt; ========================<BR>&gt; &gt; To enable asynchronous database connections as a general option for new<BR>&gt; &gt; reports:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; 1. Open the SCR Designer.<BR>&gt; &gt; 2. On the 'File' menu, click 'Options'.<BR>&gt; &gt; 3. Click the 'Database' tab.<BR>&gt; &gt; 4. Select the checkbox 'Perform Query Asynchronously'.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; To enable asynchronous database connections for existing reports:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; 1. Open the report in the SCR Designer.<BR>&gt; &gt; 2. On the 'File' menu, click 'Report Options'.<BR>&gt; &gt; 3. Select the checkbox 'Perform Query Asynchronously'.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; . To terminate a running query in the CR Designer, simply click the<BR>&gt; stop<BR>&gt; &gt; button located beside the paging bu!
ttons.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; . Once a report has established a database connection, selecting or<BR>&gt; &gt; clearing the 'Perform Query Asynchronously' checkbox will not take<BR>&gt; effect<BR>&gt; &gt; until the database connection is severed and reestablished.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; . The SCR Direct Drivers for Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase and IBM DB2<BR>&gt; &gt; automatically set the database connection to asynchronous mode if the<BR>&gt; &gt; 'Perform Query Asynchronously' checkbox is selected.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; . The SCR Database Driver for ODBC (P2sodbc.dll) will first poll the<BR>&gt; ODBC<BR>&gt; &gt; driver to determine if the driver in question supports asynchronous<BR>&gt; &gt; database connections. If the ODBC driver supports asynchronous database<BR>&gt; &gt; connections and the 'Perform Query Asynchronously' checkbox is selected,<BR>&gt; &gt; the connection will be set to asynchronous mode.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; . The SCR Database Driver for!
 OLEDB (P2soledb.dll) will first poll the<BR>&gt; &gt; OLEDB provider to determine if the provider in question supports<BR>&gt; &gt; asynchronous database connections. If the OLEDB provider supports<BR>&gt; &gt; asynchronous database connections and the 'Perform Query Asynchronously'<BR>&gt; &gt; checkbox is selected, the connection will be set to asynchronous mode.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Availability: Public<BR>&gt; &gt; Editor:CAL<BR>&gt; &gt; c2006041<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I hope this helps,<BR>&gt; &gt; Erik L<BR>&gt; &gt; id 848<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; * Please note: If we may be of further assistance with this issue simply<BR>&gt; &gt; reply to this email.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; You can also check the Seagate Software Knowledge Base for solutions to<BR>&gt; &gt; issues similar to your own. You can find our knowledge base is at the<BR>&gt; &gt; following URL:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; http://community.seagatesoftware.com/support/kbase.asp<BR>&gt; !