RE: OCP guidance(ranting)

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:48:30 -0300

Some people are focused on OCP because they are changing careers, and = so
they have to start somewhere.

You can't get a job as a junior DBA if you don't have any Oracle = experience,
and the OCP gives people a chance to start somewhere.

The OCP also provides a broad base of knowledge re. whatever track you = are
doing. But it doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that you = are
ready to be put in charge of major systems or that you are an expert on Oracle!

Having a broad base of knowledge to start with is an advantage, in that = you
know the context before you start. When people learn on the job they = only
know what they did, sometimes this means there are whole areas re. = Oracle
that are completely missed because it is not part of your work = environment.
OCP can help round things off if you are in that situation. Having = both in
my opinion is definitely an asset.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des syst=E8mes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique=20
Maritimes Region, DFO      | R=E9gion des Maritimes, MPO