RE: OCP guidance(ranting)

From: Thapliyal, Deepak <DThapliyal_at_ea.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:06:38 -0700

greetings fellow dba's

<rave-n-rant start>

seem to agree with joseph on that one. see, for me, i have been in this field long enough to have forgotten the days when i had to request people to have a look at my resume in the early days.. ocp is especially helpful for such newbie jr dba types. as for senior people its another excuse to run thru the latest and greatest features. i am 8i certified and it does not add up much at this point in my career. i just did it as i had become stagnant doing the same work and had stopped reading new stuff.

rachel, ur statement "....get the interview(usually).it wont get or keep ..." assumes that only newbies are raving and ranting to become OCP's or that OCP is only for such people. What about senior dba's who already have good jobs and have kept it for some time because of their good perf. well for me, i will appear for ocp8i+ or 9i whenever such a thing becomes available, cause i always want to be "in the know" of the latest and greatest features of newer releases.

finally, for newbies, .. some times .. getting the job or not simply depends upon whether they make it or not up to the interview point (generally though,may vary). after that point the learning curve really depends upon the individual and their hunger for more knowledge. however, i totally agree with the norm that --> good dba = (solid experiance + good concepts).

why dont we let everyone do their own thing .. maybe that thing is OCP for some people .. let people be .. without passing judgement on whether what they are doing will help them keep their jobs in future or not... especially in the states where you would think twice about hiring a personal trainer unless he/she is a "certified trainer".

solving prob and getting help/helping people with gotchas in this list is a differnt story though :-)

<rave-n-rant end>

peace and out !
deepAK

PS: my personal trainer is james and he is a "certified trainer". although the reason i hired him was, cause he is a bundle of pure energy and motivation .. in his own words ... baaaammm!!!

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com