Re: Replication

From: <dave.ryan_at_swp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:32:01 -0600

Refer to Oracle8i Replication API Reference or Oracle7 Server Distributed Systems Manual, Vol. 2.

dbms_reputil. from_remote - variable set to TRUE at the beginning of procedures in the $RP replication packages, and set to FALSE at the end of these procedures. You may need to check this variable if you have any triggers that could be fired as the result of an update by a $RP package.

HTH
Dave.

Paul van Dijken <paul.vandijken_at_sema.nl> on 07/20/2000 12:45:35 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc: (bcc: Dave Ryan/ITC/SWP)

Subject: Replication

Listers,

Since I have had no experience with replication and looking through the manuals did not provide a clear answer, here is a basic question on replication :

I want to create a multi (2) master replicated database. Changes in database A have to be replicated in database B and vice versa for all tables. There is a requirement that all changes in the database have to be audited into a separate audit_trail table including time, user, reason, etc. We use triggers to do so.

When I insert into database A, the inserted record is audited into the Audit_trail table of database A. However, since all tables are replicated into database B, the same record is also inserted into database B. The new record in the (A) Audit_trail table is replicated into (B) Audit_Table. But inserting a record triggers the database to put a new record into the (B) Audit_Trail table, resulting in 2 records in the (B) audit_trail table.
(Now I do not want to think of the replication back into A again)

How do I prevent above scenario. Does Oracle make a distinction between real Inserts in (B) and replicated inserts from (A) ? or do I have to modify my triggers so that I can see from where the insert came from ?

Please help

Paul

Author: Paul van Dijken
  INET: paul.vandijken_at_sema.nl