Replication

From: Paul van Dijken <paul.vandijken_at_sema.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:23:38 +0200

Listers,

Since I have had no experience with replication and looking through the manuals did not provide a clear answer, here is a basic question on replication :

I want to create a multi (2) master replicated database. Changes in database A have to be replicated in database B and vice versa for all tables. There is a requirement that all changes in the database have to be audited into a separate audit_trail table including time, user, reason, etc. We use triggers to do so.

When I insert into database A, the inserted record is audited into the Audit_trail table of database A. However, since all tables are replicated into database B, the same record is also inserted into database B. The new record in the (A) Audit_trail table is replicated into (B) Audit_Table. But inserting a record triggers the database to put a new record into the (B) Audit_Trail table, resulting in 2 records in the (B) audit_trail table. (Now I do not want to think of the replication back into A again)

How do I prevent above scenario. Does Oracle make a distinction between real Inserts in (B) and replicated inserts from (A) ? or do I have to modify my triggers so that I can see from where the insert came from ? Received on Thu Jul 20 2000 - 12:23:38 CDT