Re: OCP guidance(ranting)

From: djordjej <djordjej_at_attcanada.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:28:14 -0400

Hi listers,

I agree with Patrice.

Most of the listers are saying that without practice and experience you cannot be a DBA. But this is a catch 22 - where would you get initial practice and experience, to start on a junior position if you have not had enough luck as Joseph to be offered a DBA position when you are SA.

When I was interviewing people, and when I saw that somebody had OCP, I knew that that person should know at least something - definitely not everything. I agree with Deepak that "good dba = (solid experience + good concepts)", and OCP can teach you at least the concepts.

The other question is what is your overall experience. If you are very strong in other database(s), and understand the relational db concepts (which are pretty similar across different databases), preparing OCP exams would give you enough opportunity to learn the oracle specifics.

And finally I think that senior DBAs should be renewing their certification and have knowledge of new features.

Djordje