Datafile size for backup consideration...

From: Slamet Fusianto <yangken_at_cbn.net.id>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:11:53 +0700

Dear DBAs,

When we first create tablespace (user, index, temporary, etc) and datafiles, should we consider a large amount of datafiles ? What I mean is now I make one datafile for tablespace User is 500 MB. I consider this to be for 3 years ahead. Now if I take backup for this tablespace only (for example), it will surely make tape backup full after couple of weeks (capacity of tape backup is 4 GB it means that if I take full backup every week, the tape will be fulled in 2 months). Sure how many tape backups will be used is not our prime considerations, but cost will not be so high.
But I want to ask is should I make a smaller data file, just say 50 MB and then after running few months, I can add extents or make new datafiles for this tablespace. Or perhaps just make directly 500 MB ?

Thank you for the answer.

Regards,

Slamet Fusianto Received on Wed Jul 19 2000 - 20:11:53 CDT