RE: Asynchronous vs Synchronous

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:12:12 -0700

Christine,

That is basically all "old hat" issues related to inadequacies of client/server architecture on some network implementations. e.g., back in some of the early DOS and Windows versions of Oracle's client side SQL*Plus, pressing "cancel" in the middle of a long running query didn't do anything until the server finished its processing. Oracle then added functionality to SQL*Net (etc) that would cause an client-side, user invoked "cancel" passed to the server side to stop runaway queries.

BTW, there used to be a SQL*Net (v1?) protocol that Oracle called "asynch". Don't know anything about it (except that I think it is obsolete).

regards,
ep

On 19 Jul 2000, at 11:00, Christine Turner scribbled with alacrity and cogency:

Date sent:      	Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:00:00 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
From:           	Christine Turner <Christine.Turner_at_IPS-Sendero.com>
Subject:        	RE: Asynchronous vs Synchronous