Re[2]: HP-UX 11.0 64-bit?

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:14:07 -0400

Marc,

    If there is a downside to Oracle 64 bit, I haven't found it yet. You can have a problem with 32 bit applications accessing the database, but the best workaround I've found for that is to install the 32 bit client side tools and use SQL*Net or NET80 (if you prefer) to bridge the gap. Works very nicely between our 32 bit CellWorks software and 64 bit Oracle DB. Oracle's recommendation has always been to relink your apps when you change versions as a minimum. I prefer totally recompiling them from the original source files. Otherwise I'd say move on, just make sure your creating log files as that's about the only way you'll be able to see what happen.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Re: HP-UX 11.0 64-bit?
Author: MTPConsulting_at_aol.com
Date: 7/18/00 1:24 PM

Dick,
Is there any downside to 64bit? Do existing 32bit Oracle (and non-Oracle) apps run unchanged with the OS and Oracle? Is a recompile/relink necessary?

Thanks,
Marc Perkowitz
MTP Systems Consulting, Ltd.

In a message dated 7/18/2000 11:58:36 AM Central Daylight Time, dgoulet_at_vicr.com writes:

<< Chris,

     Welcome to the club!!! We moved up to HP 11 64 bit almost three months ago.
  By all means, go with the 64 bit version. We did some bench marks on a  "proprietary" program of ours that makes use of Oracle. The performance  degradation was almost 55% with a 32 bit DB. Also, running Import on the  database showed similar performance. The export file was 300mb in size (about
 200 tables each with a primary key & most with foreign keys, some procedures &
 triggers too). On the 32 bit db it took almost hour to complete while on the
 64 bit db it ran in just over 30 minutes. You almost need the log file to see
 what happen.

 Our box is an HP9000 L2000 2way with 32GB (I think) of memory connected to an  EMC disk array. Also, stuff 8.1.5, too buggy, go for 8.1.6.

 Dick Goulet

 Author: "Grabowy; Chris" <cgrabowy_at_fcg.com>
 Date:       7/18/00 5:55 AM

 Is anyone currently running on HP-UX 11.0 64-bit?

 We have this new box and were trying to figure whether to install Oracle  8.1.5 32-bit or 64-bit. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences  from running either version of Oracle on the 64-bit platform???

 TIA!!!   Received on Wed Jul 19 2000 - 15:14:07 CDT