RE: OFF-TOPIC Loose and lose

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:59:18 -0400

It's not the level of bad spelling in general that gets to me. I've come to expect that, and I use my spell-checker as a crutch as heavily as the next person (okay, admit it, haven't we all called up a word processor at least once exclusively to check the spelling of a single word because 'I can't remember where I put that paper dictionary'? I know I have).

No, the interesting phenomenon is loose vs. lose. I've seen technical material that is otherwise perfectly spelled, but lose is misspelled consistently.

Well, now I've got myself so self-conscious that I just spell-checked this email before sending it.

And no, I've never figured out if it's supposed to be disk or disc. I think I'll do what I usually do when in doubt about English spelling: I'll blame the French.

Chris Gait
Who can't spell 'queue' without a spellchecker. Ever.