Re: No PL/SQL Timer Function

From: Vidya Kalyanaraman <kvidya13_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:54:44 EDT

Pls check dbms_lock.sleep

Thanks
Vidya

From: "Steve Orr" <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
To: "Oracle-L" <oracle-l_at_fatcity.com>, "Oracledba" <oracledba_at_QuickDoc.co.uk>
Subject: No PL/SQL Timer Function
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:00:53 -0700

I can't find a timer function in PL/SQL. Without a major development effort I'd like to QUICKLY write a monitoring script which executes a query at a given interval over a certain period of time. Here's a hypothetical example... a query against the v$session and v$access tables every 15 seconds for the next 60 minutes. I need something like a UNIX shell "sleep 15" but I want the timer looping to be from a persistent connection so there's no connect/disconnect from the database every few seconds. I guess I could get a modulus of the results from DBMS_UTILITY.GET_TIME to develop my own timer function. Has anyone done something like this in PL/SQL? Any ideas? Please? Pretty please?

TIA,
Steve Orr

If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.com (updated daily)
to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk