Re: Outsourcing "Production" DBA work?

From: Don Jerman <djerman_at_dot.state.nc.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:40:58 -0400

--------------19D31C9E33F0C8645B6530C6

We have outsourced some dba tasks to consultant analysts who work with our development teams. We've had some success, in that all the data models, plans and developer support for those teams gets done on time, however there have been a couple of bonehead design decisions that got through because either the analyst was not as experienced as we would have liked, or because the analyst lacked authority on the team (being a "dime a dozen contractor" vs a vested employee). These could have been prevented by tighter management of the development process, but that's why we had to hire the analysts to start with -- no time. Now we try to at least review what the consultants propose, to help prevent future slips.

We do not let consultant dbas do ongoing maintenance and give them only limited access to production systems because maintenance is a long term job. We pay around twice as much for a dba consultant as for an employee, and it makes no sense to get one except for a limited-time staffing need. Mgt finds this a much more cogent argument than any technical or domain-knowledge arguments.

--------------19D31C9E33F0C8645B6530C6

 filename="djerman.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Jerman;Don
tel;work:919.250.4177 x282
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Engineering Applications Dev. Unit,Engineering Technology Systems,Preconstruction,Division of Highways version:2.1
email;internet:djerman_at_dot.state.nc.us
title:Database Administrator
adr;quoted-printable:;;Engineering Applications Dev. Unit,Engineering Technology Systems,Preconstruction,Division of Highways=0D=0A1020 Birch Ridge Drive;Raleigh;NC;27610;USA x-mozilla-cpt:;-9536
fn:Don Jerman
end:vcard

--------------19D31C9E33F0C8645B6530C6--