RE: People what is Oracle Rdb ? NOT URGENT, ok !

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:14:07 -0700

Bon dia Sr. Luiz !

This may surprise people that have come to Oracle in the last 5-8 years or so, but a very long time ago (10+ years?) conventional wisdom held that that Oracle ***wasn't good enough*** for large databases. (Back in those days RDBMS was sort of a "toy", "Real programmers" used COBOL/VSAM!)

But, Rdb *was* good enough (I guess because it was more platform specific, but also maybe the Rdb architects at DEC were better than Oracle's).

However, Oracle was better at marketing than DEC (*of course* you HAVE TO HAVE your database & code scale *anywhere* and run on *any* platform, right? {what? huh?} ? ? ?). Shortly after Oracle bought Rdb, new Oracle releases became known as having much better capability for large databases. Coincidence? Could the intellectual property and expertise brought in from DEC/Rdb have had *anything* to do with improvements in Oracle????? /* sarcasm */

regards,
ep

Date sent:      	Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:49:09 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>