OFF-TOPIC Loose and lose

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:52:39 -0400

> "If you use RAID5 remember that you loose the disk capacity of
> one disk for the RAID configuration algorithim storage ie:
> four 10 gig drives equates to 30 gig storage RAID5. If you
> use RAID5 you can loose one disk and still be able to recover
> the data that you have storred in the configuration and the
> disks are prefferably "hot swaps"..."

I've noticed that on the Internet as a whole, and particularly among engineers of various flavors, very few people spell the word lose with one 'o'. Okay, this is a really trivial, old technical editor (like me) thing, but I'm starting to wonder if other people notice this. In the above authoritative and informative piece of technical text the word 'lose' is consistently misspelled as 'loose'. The way I see it, if disk capacity is loosed, it must be loosed somewhere, i.e. the disks must be turned loose to spin off across the computer room floor, spitting out bits as they go and preferably producing rodeo sound effects. If one loses a disk on the other hand that is a serious and troubling event.

Maybe someone can come up with an association between certain characteristic spelling errors and personality trends. Received on Tue Jul 18 2000 - 16:52:39 CDT