Re: Asynchronous vs Synchronous

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:08:40 -0700

Date sent:      	Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:13:23 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
From:           	Christine Turner <Christine.Turner_at_IPS-Sendero.com>
Subject:        	Asynchronous vs Synchronous

> One of my devlopers came to me today and asked me if our database was
> synchronous or asynchronous???

That was a variation on the M&Ms/beer-fetch refrigerator algorithm back in the the early days of relational databases.

An asynchronous M&Ms/beer fetch was invoked to send trusted developers to the store, and a synchronous M&M/beer fetch was when the dba had to go with a junior developer to make sure they got the right kind of beer, and to prevent unencrypted packet collisions.

>My response was WHAT???

Now, with modern network capabilities:

just modify the algorithm so it just orders all the M&Ms/beer you need over the web from one of those food delivery outfits:

http://www000113.webvan.com/central/default.asp?/default.asp

Shopping Icons

 New

               Items that have recently been added to our
               product selection.

 On Sale

               Items that are currently on sale.

 Organic

               Items that meet California standards for organic
               food classification, the strictest in the nation.

 Fat-Free

               Items that contain no fat.

 No Sugar
 Added

               Items that contain no added sugar.

  Baby Diapers/Pullups Swim Pants

   Huggies Little Swimmers 1 (16-26 lbs)    12 swimpants $6.32/EA Received on Tue Jul 18 2000 - 21:08:40 CDT