Re: People what is Oracle Rdb ? NOT URGENT, ok !

From: <MVallath_at_cs.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 22:16:45 EDT

Oracle Rdb is an RDBMS product that Oracle purchased from DEC about 6-7 years ago. It is an excellent product, but as posted in some previous mails, it was due to poor marketing by DEC it was a failure.

DEC used this product to sell its hardware (give it free). One of our customers use this for their OLTP applications (ranked three years ago as the 7th largest database in the world, by the VLDB magazine survey). Today I would say it is a size of a PETABYTE. But performing very well, we clocked about 560 tps yesterday on our of main cross reference databases.

We have been an Oracle Rdb shop for quite a while now. I have been an Oracle Rdb DBA prior to moving to Oracle.

Some of the neat features that you see since 8.0 of Oracle, like partitioning, Oracle Trace, Oracle Expert, Cost based optimizing, Incremental Backups (RMAN) all come from Rdb.

Its good that Oracle bought this product, with the combined features that Oracle has Oracle will be even popular.

One feature we miss under Oracle (supported by rdb) is the Partitioned Hash clusters. Hopefully it will be a feature for Oracle 9.

For any further information subscribe to the Oracle Rdb List server hosted by JCC.COM Murali Vallath
Oracle Certified Professional Received on Tue Jul 18 2000 - 21:16:45 CDT