RE: SQL*Plus configuration - Been there/Done that

From: James Howerton <jhowerton_at_uabmc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:27:51 -0500

Thanks Brian,

I'm getting this error after re-linking to use Sun's netbackup with rman. = This is a SGI box but I think its the same problem. Please send me an = example of your LD_LIBRARY_PATH so I can compare it to the one I'm using.

Thanks again

...JIM...
>>> bmaclean_at_homebid.com 7/17/00 1:21:01 PM >>>

I ran into this same error a while ago. It looked something like:

ld.so.1: oraclePROD: fatal: libskgxp8.so: open failed: No such file or directory
ERROR:
ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact

If this is the error and the platform is Solaris then the reason is that = Sun
has implemented a security feature in that when the Set UID is on the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is for all practicable proposes is ignored for non Oracle users. The only LIB's that are valid are /usr/lib and the LIB's that are referenced at installation/link time. If you want to test this out run the command "ldd -v $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle", as the user ORACLE and then as = one
of the users having the problem (everyone else), and look for dynamic = linker
errors.

You have three resolution courses. One is to create links to all the files in $ORACLE_HOME/lib from /usr/lib. This is a bad solution in that if you have two versions of Oracle installed you may have conflicts. The second solution is to have your LD_LIBRARY_PATH set correct and then relink the Oracle executable. The third is to always connect using TWO_TASK or u/p_at_MyTnsAlias (I could explain why this one works but I don't have the time).=20

We relinked.

BOL Brian P. Mac Lean
Senior Oracle Database Administrator
OCPv8/Oracle Master
HomeBid.Com
8700 N. Gainey Center Drive
Suite 150
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Tel:480.609.4624
Cel:602.617.6075
Author: Krasimir Georgiev
  INET: krasimir_at_rcn.com=20

Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 Received on Mon Jul 17 2000 - 14:27:51 CDT