Re: Applying Application Patches - Help needed

From: Michael S. Siebert <michael_siebert_at_pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:36:20 -0400

--------------DBD9957C29188E55FCC22379

John,

The adpatch utility is used to apply patches for the Oracle Applications. You will need to know the passwords to the SYSTEM, APPS, and APPLSYS schemas. I would advise you to read the readme.txt file supplied for the patch as it usually contains information regarding the order in which to apply the patch drivers, and other prerequisite patches (this is very important!!). It sounds like you are applying a mega patch, so make sure you test in development first as there is no backout ability. Make sure users are not using the system, and that the concurrent managers have been shut down. If you are NCA, I'd also recommend shutting down the web listeners and forms listener as well.

Generally, patches consist of several patch drivers: c<patch#>.drv, d<patch#>.drv, and g<patch#>.drv where the 'c' driver copies files from the patch directory to the APPL_TOP, the 'd' driver runs database scripts, and the 'g' driver generates forms and reports files.

I'd recommend checking for and compiling any invalid DB objects after applying a patch set. Run compile APPS schema from the Maintain Database Objects Menu in adadmin.

Searching MetaLink for 'adpatch' will probably return too many hits. The documentation on adpatch and the other applications utilities can be found in the system administrator manual for the applications.

HTH,
Michael Siebert
Solutions Consulting, LLC.

John Dailey wrote:

> Hi all, I have searched Metalink for about an hour now and have been
> unsuccessful in finding any instructions on applying application patches. I
> have not done this before, but am anxious to learn. The DBA job here kind
> of got dumped in my lap; most of my experience comes on DB2. Could anybody
> point me to a good step-by-step or other how-to on applying application
> patches? I'm trying to apply Patch Set G for Oracle Fixed Assets 10.7. We
> are on 7.3.4.2 / HP-UX 11.
>
> Thanks to any and all for your help. The tips I have picked up here have
> saved me more than once. Also, please don't hold my M$ certification
> against me; I'm really not that bad of a guy! =) (The devil made me take
> the tests)
>
> Thanks again for any help.
>
> John Dailey, MCSE/MCP+I
> Consultant
> Concept Solutions, LLC
> Phone: 703-975-7039
>
> Concept Solutions, LLC
> *Your Business Intelligence Partner*
> www.concept-solutions.com
>
> --
> Author: John Dailey
> INET: John.Dailey_at_concept-solutions.com

--------------DBD9957C29188E55FCC22379

 filename="michael_siebert.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Siebert;Michael

tel;pager:5136089903_at_mobile.att.net
tel;cell:(513) 608-9903
tel;work:(513) 891-3423 ext. 7010

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.scglobal.com
org:Solutions Consulting, LLC
version:2.1
email;internet:michael.siebert_at_scglobal.com title:Senior Consultant
adr;quoted-printable:;;5151 Pfeiffer Road=0D=0ASuite 105;Cincinnati;Ohio;45242;USA Received on Mon Jul 17 2000 - 13:36:20 CDT