RE: RE: Re[2]: db_file_multiblock_read_count parameter

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 06:14:51 +1000

Hi Dick,

OK, that makes better sense. It was the "in any one time slice" bit that was missing from your previous mail. This person was clearly speaking in the context of buffered file system I/O, and in that case he/she is right. HP-UX (and buffered Unix file systems in general) will only read one file system buffer (typically 8K) from disk at a time, and unless you are reading from a cached disk array, you would be hard pressed to read more than 32K in a timeslice. However, there is no hard coded 32K limit anywhere.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/
http://www.christianity.net.au/

  From: Robert Hernandez 14-Jun-00 21:19   Subject: max db_block_size*db_file_multiblock_read_count for different OS

  RDBMS Version: Oracle 8.x.x
  Operating System and Version: HPUX-11.0,SUN 7.0/8.0,AIX 4.3   Error Number (if applicable):
  Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.):   Product Version: 8.x.x

  max db_block_size*db_file_multiblock_read_count for different OS

  My company is just finishing a new warehouse product running on Oracle 8.x.x
Enterprise Edition and HPUX 11.0. We are thinking to port it now to different OS
platform. I looking for the following information to help me recommend we OS
platform we should support next.

  I understand the max db_block_size*db_file_multiblock_read_count for   HP-UX 10.20 is 64K
  HP-UX 11.0 is 256K

  but what about AIX 4.3

  SUN 2.6
  SUN 7.0
  SUN 8.0

  NT 4.0
  NT 2000
  And what is the max DB_BLOCK_SIZE for each OS running Oracle 8.1.6 EE?

  From: Oracle, Anand Viswanathan 15-Jun-00 15:05   Subject: Re : max db_block_size*db_file_multiblock_read_count for different OS

  Hi,

  db_block_size * db_file_multiblock_read_count is controlled by   max io that os can do.

  maxio is controlled by the kernel parameters maxphys for UFS and   vol_maxio for veritas filesystem on solaris.

  You have got to know the max value the os can support from the os   vendors for your versions.

  Irrespective of this ,we have got a kernel constant SSTIOMAX which   controls the maxio that particular rdbms version can support.

  So if both os side values and SSTIOMAX from the rdbms version   supports having a io size as specified by your db_block_size *   db_file_multiblock_read_count ,then your setting of db_file_multiblock_read_count is taken ,otherwise it defaults to lower value.

  On Oracle 8 it supports 512K,so if your os supports for this   parameter maxphys to be equal to 512K,then for block size of 8K   you can have a db_file_multiblock_read_count of 64.

  Similarly in other platforms you have to ensure the os kernel   parameters which controls the io size and to find out the max value   that can be supported for that os from the os vendor ,then if   you are using Oracle 8 then you can go upto iosize of 512K.

  Regards

  Anand

    Copyright (c) 1995,1999 Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Legal Notices and Terms of Use.

Subject: RE: Re[2]: db_file_multiblock_read_count parameter Author: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au> Date: 7/14/00 9:53 AM

Hi Dick,

What makes you think that HP-UX has a limit of 32K per read? On buffered file systems all reads match the file system buffer size (normally
8K),
but on raw or direct I/O you can go all the way up to MAXPHYS which has long been 256K and is now 1M.

Author: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date:       7/12/00 3:36 PM

Prasada,

It is a dynamic parameter that can be modified using an "alter system" or an "alter session" as the case may be.

Cheers,

Gaja.

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, I-O Management Products
Quest Software Inc.
(972)-304-1170
gajav_at_yahoo.com

"Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Quest"

Do You Yahoo!?
Get Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere! http://mail.yahoo.com/
Author: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
  INET: gajav_at_yahoo.com