Re: db_file_multiblock_read_count parameter

From: Denny Koovakattu <denny_vk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:40:59 -0500

Hi Dick,

  When you changed the DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT did any of the execution plans for the queries change ? With such a drastic change ( 8 to 800 ) the optimizer could have chosen full table scans. I did some testing some time back and found that the maximum value recorded was 2M ( db_file_multiblock_read_count - 128 ) on HP-UX 11.0 running 8.0.5.1 (64 Bit) with 16K block size. ( On Oracle 7.3.4 the maximum value obtained was 256K. ) I am not sure whether HP silently enforced a lower value. ( Will have to check that out when I get time. ) If you go by the documentation, it looks like the default value for MAXPHYS is 1M and can be configured to be as high as 32M on V-Class systems.

/usr/conf/master.d/scsi-tune

*

Regards,
Denny