RE: Troubles installing Oracle 8.1.5 on AIX, this time 4.3.3

From: <sean.hull_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:25:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Veronica Levin wrote:

> I just tried your suggestion...didn't work. Same error.
>
> What else can I do? I still don't understand why am I getting this error.

Veronica:

Getting a program to startup under X is fairly simple. There are two things that have to be done. Sometimes these are done by default on a workstation, so when you startup a program remotely they may be new to you.

First you have to tell the program where to display. It can display on any X compatible terminal on the internet, believe it or not. You tell it by setting the DISPLAY environment variable like this:

$ export DISLAY=192.168.0.1:0.0

The 0.0 part specifies the display on that terminal, as there may be more than one (leave it to unix, nothings ever simple :-) )

Next you have to make that display ACCESSIBLE by that program. Normally on a workstation, if you're the user running the program, and the same as the user who started X, there's no problem. Otherwise you have to do some permutation like this:

$ xhost + localhost
or possibly
$ xhost + 192.168.0.1
or this
$ xhost + my.host.domain

One more important thing. This xhost command has to be run on the machine where you're going to display your prgram, *AS* the user which started X, otherwise you won't have the proper permissions (except if you're root).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more explanation. Received on Fri Jul 14 2000 - 13:25:11 CDT