RE: The BIG picture - Advanced file system

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:43:30 +1000

Hi Cherie,

The configuration you have there may be excellent for a read-only database, but if you plan to do anything write intensive it is likely to cause problems. There is a maximum of 4 cache allocations for each disk director in an EMC box, which makes it very easy to saturate bits of the cache in write intensive situations, and if you do saturate any part of the EMC cache, you'll find its write performance to be significantly worse than that of unbuffered equivalent disks.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/