RE: White papers

From: Jeffery Stevenson <jeff_at_mpv.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:38:26 -0500

  Yep, that whole copyright thing...I guess Oracle figures that they can either tunnel all the up-and-coming DBAs through their site. Is Oracle so strapped for cash that they can't survive without the ad revenue generated from a couple of whitepapers? Don't they realize that this kind of restrictive practice is going to hurt them in the long run? The industry is hurting for _quality_ IT personnel (and the DBA field is definitely one of the areas that can make or break a company). Making it harder for people to get the information hurts the growth of potential high-level DBAs. For a high-end commercial DBMS, you need support...quality support. Would you want someone "learning the ropes" on your customers production systems? Would it hurt your image if your DBMS was crashing/losing data/performing badly around the world because of a general lack of knowledge? "You don't want to use Oracle, I heard <fill-in-the-blank-with-major-company> tried using Oracle and wound up losing X% of their customers because of database problems." Sure Oracle can gain revenue by filling in some of the gap with their consultants, but where are they going to get those consultants from in the future? Grab people of the street and throw them in a boot camp to mold them in the image of an Oracle consultant? Don't mind me...I'm just ranting a bit. Oracle might have other reasons for the legal action (the people on the site could be telling everyone that it is their work or some-such like that).

Jeffery Stevenson
Chief Database Geek
Medical Present Value, Inc.
Austin, TX