RE: White papers

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:18:26 -0400

There are no doubt copyright issues, and while I agree that whitepapers should be distributed freely, I can definitely see why Oracle would want to retain control of all documents, since they want to be able to withdraw and revise papers when things are confirmed to be incomplete, wrong, etc. If the papers are on a site not controlled by Oracle they can't be kept up to date. Now to what degree Oracle is able to keep the enormous pile of documentation they have at their disposal actually up to date is another question <g>. Another question would be jurisdiction. Up until 1974 the Soviet Union was not a signatory to the International Copyright Treaty, so there were no restrictions and no mechanism for prosecution of copyright violations in the USSR. On the other hand there was also no protection for Soviet intellectual property that made it out of the country. I don't know if Bulgaria is a signatory of the Treaty or not. If it is a signatory there are steps Oracle could take. Otherwise they're just plain out of luck.

Having said that, it's darn nice to see the whole collection in one handy, accesible bucket, and it would be good if there was a similar publicly available page at Technet/Metalink. That way everyone could get to the papers they need, use Oracle's bandwidth to do it, and be reasonably sure that the paper is authorized and up-to-date.

Regards,
Christopher Gait
Oracle DBA

(Semi)permanent address: cjgait_at_yahoo.com http://www.geocities.com/athens/3623

"Death is nature's way of saying: NEXT!"